15 Dec More Info on Audiobook Creation
So, you’ve decided to narrate your own audiobook.
There can be a lot to take in with this kind of project, which is why I wanted to give you a bit more information on just what to expect when narrating your own audiobook.
- Expect to practice—at least a little bit. Even if you have your own podcast or YouTube channel, reading your book out loud, using the right fluctuations in your voice, and finding the perfect recording spot, is key to your success.
- Expect to read this article—written by a fellow author friend of mine that recorded his own book. The details may seem daunting, but they aren’t really that bad if you take this step-by-step. Here’s that article again.
- Expect double the time you think it’ll take—the average person speaks about 150 words per minute. If you have a 50,000 word non fiction book, that means you’re looking at 9,000 words per hour, or a book that will be 5.5 hours in length. You’ll record that in chunks, and need to practice, as well as listen back through, so plan on anywhere from 15+ hours.
- Expect to work with my editor on the files. My audio editor, Stephan, will work directly with you before and after you finish recording. We want to save you (and us) production time by setting you up for success.
- Expect to listen to other audiobooks. Even if you get on YouTube or listen to samples on Audible, make sure you’re paying attention to what you do or don’t like about other authors.
- Expect to do a few samples and get feedback. In order to make sure we’re getting you the best audiobook we can, sending a few samples to friends or trusted members of your audience, will help you refine your process.
- Expect to look at this article from ACX—this is another great guideline for getting your recorded files just right and keeping our process efficient.
Although narrating your own audiobook is a commitment—it’s well worth it! You’re giving your audience a piece of you. I can guarantee that there’s nothing quite like the sound of your own voice, your own passion, and your own excitement as you read aloud your own words.
Like most of this, it’s a profound experience.
As always, if you have any questions, you know where to find me!